Adrian H. Huerta
Provost's Postdoctoral Scholar
Ph.D., Education, University of California, Los Angeles
M.A., Education, University of California, Los Angeles
M.A., Educational Policy & Leadership, The Ohio State University
B.S., Counseling, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Provost's Postdoctoral Scholar in Criminology & Education, Pullias Center for Higher Education, Rossier School of Education, USC, 8/2017 - present
Research Affiliate, University of Texas, Austin, Project Males, 8/2016 – present
Research Affiliate, UCLA Choices Project, 7/2016 – present
Postdoctoral Research Scholar, UCLA Higher Education Research Institute (HERI), 7/2016 – 7/2018
Research Assistant, UCLA, 10/2011 – 6/2016
Assistant Director, USC, Office of the Provost, McNair Scholars Program, 3/2011 – 8/2011
Program Coordinator, USC, McNair Scholars Program, 3/2010 – 3/2011
Academic Advisor, USC, Rossier School of Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, 6/2009 – 3/2010
Honors and Awards:
Poverty-Scholar-in-Residence, West Coast Poverty Center, University of Washington;
Minority Dissertation Fellow, American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Huerta, A. H.,McDonough, P. M., & Allen, W. R. (2018). Employing a developmental perspective to examine how young men of color construct a college-going identity. Urban Review,DOI: 10.1007/s11256-018-0466-9
- Howard, T.C., Woodward, B., Navarro, O., Haro, B., Watson, K., & Huerta, A. H. (Accepted). Renaming the narrative, reclaiming their humanity: Black and Latino males descriptions of success. Teachers College Record.
- Martinez, E., & Huerta, A. H.(2018). Deferred enrollment: Chicano/Latino males, social mobility and military enlistment. Education & Urban Society, DOI: 10.1177/0013124518785021
- Estrada, J. N., Huerta, A. H., Hernandez, E., Hernandez, R., & Kim, S. (2018). Socio-ecological risk and protective factors for youth gang involvement. In H. Shapiro and associates (Eds.), The Handbook of Violence in Education: Forms, Factors, and Preventions. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118966709.ch9
- Garcia, G., Huerta, A. H., Ramirez, J. J., & Patron, O. E. (2017). Contexts that matter to the leadership development of Latino male college students: A mixed-methods perspective. Journal of College Student Development, 58(1), 1-18.
- Howard, T. C., & Associates (2017). The counter narrative: Reframing success of high achieving Black and Latino males in Los Angeles County. University of California, Los Angeles: UCLA Black Male Institute.
- Giraldo, L. G., Huerta, A. H., & Solórzano, D. G. (2017). From incarceration to community college: Funds of knowledge, community cultural wealth, and critical race theory. In C. Rios-Aguilar & J. M. Kiyama (Eds.), Funds of Knowledge in Higher Education: Honoring Students’ Cultural Experiences and Resources as Strengths (pp. 48-65). New York: Routledge.
- Santos, J. L., Roth, K., & Huerta, A. H., & Ritter, Z. (2015). Technology and improving learning outcomes: A discussion of policy, costs and access. In R. T. Teranishi, L. Bordoloi Pazich, M. Knobel, & W. R. Allen (Eds.), Mitigating Inequality: Higher Education Research, Policy, and Practice in an Era of Massification and Stratification. U.K.: Emerald Group Publishing.
- Huerta, A. H. (2015). “I didn’t want my life to be like that”: Gangs, college, or the military for Latino male high school students. Journal of Latino/Latin American Studies, 7(2), 156-167.
- Huerta, A. H. (2015). The role of counselors in facilitating college opportunities for marginalized student populations. In J. D. Mathis, R. M. Rall & T. M. Laudino (Eds.), Fundamentals of college admission counseling: A textbook for graduate students and practicing counselors (pp. 276-289). Arlington, VA: NACAC.
- Huerta, A. H., & Fishman, S. M. (2014). Marginality and mattering: Urban Latino male undergraduates in higher education. Journal of The First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, 26(1), 85 -100.
- Sanchez, S. M., Huerta, A. H., & Venegas, K. M. (2012). Latino males and college preparation programs: Examples of increased access. Metropolitan Universities, 22(3), 27-45.
- Venegas, K. M., & Huerta, A. H. (2010). Urban ethnography: Approaches, perspectives and challenges. In M. Savin-Baden & C. H. Major (Eds.), New approaches to qualitative research: Wisdom and uncertainty (pp. 154-161). New York: Taylor Francis.