PhD, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Yasemin Copur-Gencturk is a Research Assistant Professor at Rossier. Her research focuses on teacher knowledge, teaching practices and teacher development, and how these areas relate to student learning.
Before joining the Rossier faculty, Copur-Gencturk was an assistant professor of mathematics education at the University of Houston and was a postdoctoral research associate at Rice University. She earned her doctoral degree in 2012 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a focus on mathematics education. She also holds two master’s degrees in statistics and in secondary education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Hacettepe University, Turkey, where she graduated summa cum laude.
Honors and Awards:
AERA-SIG Research in Mathematics Education Early Career Publication Award for article "The Effects of Changes in Mathematical Knowledge on Teaching: A Longitudinal Study of Teachers’ Knowledge and Instruction" (2016)
EDUC 566: Teaching Mathematics and Science
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., & Papakonstantinou, A. (2016). Sustainable changes in teacher practices: a longitudinal analysis of the classroom practices of high school mathematics teachers. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 19(6), 575-594.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y. (2015). The Effects of Changes in Mathematical Knowledge on Teaching: A Longitudinal Study of Teachers' Mathematical Knowledge and Instruction. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 46(3), 280-330.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., Hug, B., & Lubienski, S.T. (2014). The Effects of a Master’s Program on Teachers’ Science Instruction: Comparing Classroom Observations, Teacher Reports, and Student Surveys. Journal for Research in Science Teaching, 51(2), 219-249.
- Robinson-Cimpian, J. P., Lubienski, S. T., Ganley, C. M, Copur-Gencturk, Y. (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of students’ mathematics proficiency may exacerbate early gender gaps in achievement. Developmental Psychology, 50(4), 1262-1281.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., & Lubienski, S. T. (2013). Measuring Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching: A Longitudinal Study Using Two Measures. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 1-26.