PhD, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Yasemin Copur-Gencturk is an Assistant Professor of Education in the Teacher Education concentration. Her research focuses on teacher knowledge, teaching practices and teacher development, and how these areas relate to student learning.
Before joining the Rossier faculty, Copur-Gencturk was an assistant professor of mathematics education at the University of Houston and was a postdoctoral research associate at Rice University. She earned her doctoral degree in 2012 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a focus on mathematics education. She also holds two master’s degrees in statistics and in secondary education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Hacettepe University, Turkey, where she graduated summa cum laude.
Honors and Awards:
AERA-SIG Research in Mathematics Education Early Career Publication Award for article "The Effects of Changes in Mathematical Knowledge on Teaching: A Longitudinal Study of Teachers’ Knowledge and Instruction" (2016)
EDUC 566: Teaching Mathematics and Science
NSF CAREER: Development of Pedagogical Content Knowledge in Mathematics Among Beginning Teachers. $630, 000. Principal Investigator.
Advancing Middle School Teachers' Understanding of Proportional Reasoning for Teaching. $1,399,982. Principal Investigator with Ben Nye, Chandra Orrill, and Al Cohen, co-principal investigators. Institue of Education Sciences.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., Tolar T., Jacobson. E., & Fan. W. (2018). An Empirical Study of the Multidimensionality of the Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching Construct. Journal of Teacher Education.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., & Papakonstantinou, A. (2016). Sustainable changes in teacher practices: a longitudinal analysis of the classroom practices of high school mathematics teachers. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 19(6), 575-594.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y. (2015). The Effects of Changes in Mathematical Knowledge on Teaching: A Longitudinal Study of Teachers' Mathematical Knowledge and Instruction. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 46(3), 280-330.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., Hug, B., & Lubienski, S.T. (2014). The Effects of a Master’s Program on Teachers’ Science Instruction: Comparing Classroom Observations, Teacher Reports, and Student Surveys. Journal for Research in Science Teaching, 51(2), 219-249.
- Robinson-Cimpian, J. P., Lubienski, S. T., Ganley, C. M, Copur-Gencturk, Y. (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of students’ mathematics proficiency may exacerbate early gender gaps in achievement. Developmental Psychology, 50(4), 1262-1281.
- Copur-Gencturk, Y., & Lubienski, S. T. (2013). Measuring Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching: A Longitudinal Study Using Two Measures. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 1-26.