Submit an Event to the USC Rossier Calendar
Anyone with a USC email address can submit events for publication approval to the USC Rossier’s events calendar.
STOP: Before submitting, verify with your department no one has already submitted the event.
- Submit early
Make sure your event is submitted as far in advance as possible. It is recommended to submit the event 3-5 weeks in advance but a minimum of 3 business days will be accepted.
- Submit a completed entry
Don’t skip important fields, especially date, time, and location! Selecting the event type will make your event easier for people to find. If you need help, see the detailed instructions for each field.
- Make sure “Rossier School of Education” is selected for Department under the FILTER section (see screenshot on the right)
- Select your options for Event Type, Audience, and Campus
- Choose a good photo and do not use the same photo for a new event listing
Good event photos are simple with a clear, close crop. A person’s face or headshot works well, but an event flyer does not, because of the small size of the displaying thumbnail.
- Write a short, clear title
Keep in mind that many people will be looking at your event on a small screen and the title will likely be cut off. Start with the important information and leave out filler words. Instead of “USC John Smith Center for Research presents Jane Doe addressing points of interest in Current American Politics in a lunchtime discussion” try “Brown Bag Lecture: Jane Doe on Politics”
- If using acronyms in the title, spell it out first then use parenthesis
For example: University of Southern California—Riverside (UCR)
- No special characters should be used in titles and words should be spelled out
For example: @ symbols, info should be information
- Keep your description short
Keep your descriptions short and sweet – the best descriptions are under 200 words. The goal is to get people to the event, so your description does not need to be exhaustive. Treat the description as a teaser.
Important Note: Tags (If you do not see this section, please ignore and go to Step 2)
The event system uses tags to route and filter events – they are not considered hashtags for instagram or twitter. If you have a hashtag you want attendees to use, put that in the event description.
The Tags field is located under the Additional Details section. Screenshot below:
Wait for event approval and publication
- You must select “Rossier School of Education” for the department on the form. Submit your event.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "Event submitted".
- The event administrator will review and approve/reject your submission.
- If you do not specify the department, the events calendar editor will approve or reject your event. In order to be approved events must be:
- sponsored by a USC department, organization or student group
- submitted at least three business days prior to the event
Not everything counts as an event – we wouldn’t want to list the weekly staff meeting next to USC Rossier commencement ceremony. Here are the do/don’ts of the USC Rossier Event Calendar:
- Physical component: an event must have face-to-face, real-time component. Otherwise, please use sharable calendar like Outlook or Google Calendar. Things that don’t go in the event calendar: religious holidays, project milestones, deadlines, pre-taped webinars (live webinars are ok).
- Access: events must be open to at least subset of USC community. Both free and ticketed events are allowed. Internal staff meetings or anything that should not be visible to the public should not be included.
- Location: events should take place on or near one of USC’s campuses. Note – exceptions to this guideline will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Student Club/Activity Events: For select, marquee events (a gala or large scale event) students are welcome to submit via the public event form, and events will be evaluated and published on a case by case basis. Student clubs and organizations can submit event announcements to the bulletin board service in MyUSC, and also advertise in Engage SC.