In partnership with Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Yonsei University and Universidad Iberoamericana, Ciudad de Mexico-Tijuana
The World Masters in Language Teaching (WMLT) dual degree program is on hiatus and will not accept applications for the 2021 school year. The 2021 application for the MAT-TESOL program will be available beginning August 1, 2020.
Across the changing global landscape, language education models are being expanded and reimagined. Prepare to meet the demand for language educators with an international study experience that will deepen your knowledge of language, teaching, culture and social context.
The World Masters in Language Teaching (WMLT) program is a dynamic dual degree program that will prepare you to teach English and another language to a variety of learners in multilingual and multicultural settings in the U.S. and around the world. During the program, you will spend part of your time at USC in Los Angeles and part of your time at a premier partner university in Hong Kong, South Korea or Mexico. As a result, you will earn two master’s degrees: a Master of Arts in Teaching—Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MAT—TESOL) from the USC Rossier School of Education and one of the following:
- Chinese and English dual degree track: Master of Arts in International Language Education (MAILE) degree with a concentration in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (TCSL) or Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
- Korean and English dual degree track: Master of Arts in Korean Language and Literature degree with the option to pursue a Korean language teaching certification from Yonsei University.
- Spanish and English dual degree track: Maestría en Educación y Desarrollo de la Práctica Educativa (Master of Arts in Education and Teaching) from Universidad Iberoamericana, Ciudad de Mexico-Tijuana (IBERO)
While completing coursework for the MAT—TESOL degree at USC, you will also have the option to pursue a California Preliminary single subject teaching credential in English Language Development or World Languages.Apply Learn More
The WMLT program will prepare you to:
- Teach the English language and another language to diverse learners in multilingual and multicultural settings around the world
- Understand the links between language, culture, social context and academic outcomes
- Create inclusive learning experiences to promote language development among all learners, including students from underserved immigrant or minority groups
- Be a globally competitive language teaching professional
Related Programs at USC Rossier
People are saying
Ana Lara, MAT ‘20
The World Masters in Language Teaching program has exceeded my expectations. My professors are knowledgeable and dedicated. When applying to graduate programs, I wanted to complete a master’s and credential at the same time. I did my research and found this great opportunity to complete my master’s and credential and study abroad at USC. That was a win-win for me! Any student who is looking for a diverse and enriching program should definitely apply!
The Admissions Committee seeks students whose academic background, professional goals, personal commitment and communication skills meet the demands of the program, and show promise for a successful career as a teacher.
|Office of Admissions and Scholarships|