You will complete the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program while simultaneously preparing for a single subject or multiple subject preliminary California teaching credential. In order to be recommended for a preliminary teaching credential, you are required to satisfy a series of requirements established by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
This page references credential requirements you should complete prior to beginning the MAT program. For the full list of additional credential requirements that will be completed during your time in the program, view the MAT credential checklist.
Note: The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requires credential applicants to disclose any convictions of a felony or misdemeanor. A felony or misdemeanor could impact student teaching and potential future employment opportunities.
Basic Skills Requirement
In order to apply to USC Rossier, you are required to submit official documentation that you have satisfied the basic skills requirement. For more information regarding the documents that are considered official, please see the section under “Basic Skills Requirement” on the MAT application requirements page.
There are a number of ways to satisfy the basic skills requirement. For details on these options, visit the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website.
- Meet the basic skills requirement with qualifying college-level coursework
- Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Achieve qualifying scores on the SAT or ACT
- Pass the CSET: Multiple Subjects with Writing Skills examinations
- Pass College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examinations
- Pass a CTC-approved basic skills examination from another state
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examinations
- Meet the basic skills requirement with a combination of qualifying college-level coursework and any qualifying exam
If you plan to teach in another state, contact the USC Rossier credentialing office to identify any alternate requirements for the state in which you plan to teach.
Subject Matter Requirement
In order to enroll at USC Rossier (including registering for classes), you are required to submit one of the following forms of proof that you have satisfied the subject matter requirement:
- Official score reports for the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) subtests for the credential concentration to which you applied
- Transcript showing degree conferral of an academic major in subject area of the credential concentration to which you applied
- Official subject matter waiver letter from a CTC-approved institution that offers subject matter preparation programs. Visit www.ctc.ca.gov for the list of approved university programs.
Credential Exam Support
USC Rossier provides several resources to support you in becoming a credentialed teacher. To assist you in preparing for credentialing exams, we have partnered with Teachers Test Prep to offer complimentary CSET test prep services to admitted students.