The Master of Arts in Teaching – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MAT-TESOL) program credential track is optional. During your first semester in the program, you can apply to the MAT-TESOL World Language: English Language Development (ELD) Single Subject or World Languages-Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Single Subject credential track.
As a student on the MAT-TESOL credential track, you will complete your coursework while simultaneously preparing for a preliminary ELD or LOTE California teaching credential. In order to be recommended for a preliminary teaching credential, you are required to satisfy a series of requirements established by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Note: The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requires credential applicants to disclose any convictions of a felony or misdemeanor. A felony or misdemeanor could impact student teaching and potential future employment opportunities.
Basic Skills Requirement
There are a number of ways to satisfy the basic skills requirement. For details on these options, visit the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website.
- Meet the basic skills requirement with qualifying coursework
- Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Achieve a qualifying score on the SAT or ACT
- Pass the CSET: Multiple Subjects Plus Writing Skills examination
- Pass College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examinations
- Pass a basic skills examination from another state
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examinations
- Meet the basic skills requirement with a combination of qualifying coursework and exams
If you plan to teach in another state, contact the USC Rossier credentialing office to identify any alternate requirements for the state in which you plan to teach.
Subject Matter Requirement
In order to satisfy the subject matter requirement, you are required to submit one of the following forms of proof:
- Official score reports for the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) subtests for the credential track to which you applied
- Required subtests for English Language Development
- Sample required subtests for World Languages -Languages Other Than English (tests will be specific to the language)
- Transcript showing degree conferral of an academic major in subject area of the credential track to which you applied.
- Official subject matter waiver letter from a CTC-approved institution that offers subject matter preparation programs. Visit www.ctc.ca.gov for the list of approved university programs.